Whilst SDR is a relatively new treatment in the UK for children with Cerebral Palsy, we have been working with children since 2012 who have had this procedure.
We have worked with children and their families who have had SDRs done at St Louis, Bristol, Alderhey and Leeds. As qualified paediatric physiotherapists we offer specialist intensive rehab for our patients, concentrating on muscle strengthening and improving function whilst ensuring physiotherapy is fun and your child grows in both confidence and ability.
Sadly the NHS provision for children with SDR varies from area to area, as local cuts put more pressure on our NHS colleagues, who we recognise do an excellent job within the restraints they have. We are keen to work alongside your NHS physiotherapists, communicating regularly to ensure that we share the same individual treatment goals for your child and so maximising their outcomes.
For more information on rehab with pre or post SDR please contact Sophie on 07887777894.
The goals for the St. Louis physical therapy program which we use as a template for all our children post SDR are:
- Developing alignment of pelvis, trunk, and head
- Increasing range of motion of the hips, legs, ankles, and feet
- Increasing strength in the trunk, pelvis, and legs
- Developing isolated movements of the legs as well as reciprocal movements
- Improving balance and alignment
- Developing the ability to move in and out of various positions
- Developing and improving walking
- Incorporating new patterns of moving into functional skills
- Developing smooth coordinated movement
Would highly recommend MCP!
Manchester Children’s Physiotherapy
Sophie Johnson, Paediatric Physiotherapist
BSc MCSP SRP APCP